Saturday, October 16, 2010

New Kid on Campus…or is She?


So there’s a new kid on campus….and she’s a little daring.  She’s definitely not the same person she was when she walked these paths and halls before.   
I have been thinking a lot lately and doing a lot of research on what it will take for me to get back to school as soon as possible.   This waiting game is killing me softly with its song…and though I am learning so much everyday through work,  I am not learning the things I desire to learn.  I know it all has a purpose.   As I was walking with my 4 children to the University Recreation Centre…I thought this is really familiar in a weird sort of way.   Over  12 years ago I graduated from Kings College,  University of Western Ontario.  I walked past Alumni Hall and fondly recalled my Convocation Ceremony .  Even then I knew I had not seen the end of this campus.     I worked full time as a Social Worker for a number of years,  until taking time off to have children but really never stopped loving learning.   I used to joke with my friends that  I’d be a “Lifer” with this student thing.   Over 20 years ago,  I went to Community College to take Social Service Worker diploma…then spent a number of years taking part time courses at Western while working in the field full time.   My Profs @ College always told me they thought  I should go on to get my degree.  They were right.   When I finished my BSW,  I really wanted to pursue a Masters,  however I decided I needed something more specialized than a Generalist Degree.   I spent over 5 years post degree working towards my Art Therapy Certificate.   Out of all the placements I had through my learning.. and I have had 6 placement…the first was in College @ a Youth Hostel for street youth with Addictions issues,  the second in a College Counselling office working with Students with Special Needs…The third in a Child and Family Counselling Centre- Children’s Mental Health,,  the fourth doing Advocacy Work @ an UnEmployment Health Centre.   My last two placements were the most rewarding of all the placements.  I suspect because I felt I was so much closer to doing what I truly believe I need to be doing…my true Calling…Art Therapy.    The Elementary school placements Providing Art Therapy assessment and consultations was a good placement but not as fantastic as the Placement I had @ the Child & Adolescent Centre,  LHSC.  This truly was an amazing experience.   …I believe I learned the most from my Art Therapy Practicums. I think the way we did Supervision in the Art Therapy program was much more reflective and challenged us to  grow in the most profound ways.    Then the bottom fell out…..life got busy with children,…even busier when my eldest child was diagnosed with Autism.  I couldn’t dedicate as much time to the classroom component of the program and requested an additional 2 years to finish the program.   Little did I know the program would fold before I had a chance to totally complete it.   I only had to finish 2 Art Credits in order to get my Certificate….   This was just the first step….I would also have to complete 1000 hrs of paid supervised work and develop a portfolio in order to apply for Registered Art Therapist status.  
So do I believe I will be able to ever complete this….Well as it stands the Art Therapy Program in London Ontario does not exist and this is where I am,  and where I have to be for the time being.  The Ontario Art Therapy Association has been trying to bring the program back as a Masters Level Program for the past 10 years,  they were very close to achieveing this last year but it never happened.   My only choice at this time is to get the credits I need to pursue the Masters Program elsewhere.   Wayne State University is the most likely program.   So I now need to complete at least 2  Art Credits, I will need to speak to someone @ the University to see what I should take since last assessment they advised me I had too many Psychs and Soc’s and Social Work courses,  and they wanted me to concentrate on the Art credits.   Since it has been a number of years I assume I will need to take more psychology courses  and start developing an Art portfolio for this program.  I am determined to complete this goal….if it takes me the next 10 years to do so.   I know I will be satisfied to have reached my goal of having my own Art Therapy practice by the time I retire ( That is 23 years from now I hope)   I know I would love to work @ LHSC in the Art Therapy department or The Child & Adolescent Centre  (outpatient @ LHSC)or a similar program in another city for  a number of years before having my own practice.  
So what I long journey I have before me….I will be starting this year to take at least one Art Credit…
So I will be the “New Kid on Campus”.    I was thinking today how old I felt as I walked to the University Recreation Centre with my children.    How changed this student thing feels.   I am going to have to simplify things so that I can still get all the physical workout needs that my body needs while I am exercising my mind through getting back to school.  I definitely do not want to “forsake” all my hard work and dedication in self improving my physical health….but to be more balanced…I definitely need to help my mind develop to its full potential.   Its been waiting way too long.    I looked into the Alumni rates at the Recreation Centre where my eldest son just started swimming lessons through the Making Waves program. 
This is cheaper than my current gym,  and has better work out hours that will suit my new time management needs.   The facilities have come along way baby  from what I remember them being when they were still @ UCC  over 10 years ago.    They even have an indoor track which will allow me to maintain my running during the winter months if I chicken out of my commitment to run through the snow!  So some people have a 5 year plan…if life were just that simple….that would be nice!    I have a 23 year plan…if I finish it before then….more power to me….but I need to be fair to myself…and realistic about what I can handle while working full time,  and raising a family.  I wish I could dive deep into learning …but for now….I will have to wade into it .  What intimidates me most about the Art Credits is that one needs time commitment to complete all the art assignments and projects…these are studio hours.   A book one can read…and research just about anywhere…but studio work can’t happen just anywhere.   This will be an interesting chapter in my life.  Though I am afraid…I will bravely face what I know I must to achieve what I want. 

1 comment:

  1. First off congratulations for taking the time to figure out what you want in life to make you happy and fulfilled!!!!!!!!!!!! You have all the time in the world to make your dreams come true and you will fill better even if you are just wading. Every step closer you take will fulfill you more and more and give you confidence to keep going !!!! When you are working and doing something you lve it does not feel like work is so true!! I know I finally after years am in a job I love and I would do it for free seriously because it fulfills me ! So I know how you feel!!!!!!!!!! You can do this just take one step at a time and know that every step you take is getting you closer to your goal!!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete