Saturday, September 25, 2010

Time for the Girls

Well...my 9 year old daughter and I have embarked on a new venture together.   I have set the goal of committing to going out with her one day a month,  and yes I spend other time with her as well...but this day is just for the two of us to talk...to have fun together and grow together.   One thing I always thought I would never do...was sideline the rest of my children due to having a child with special needs...but in fact...the very thing I thought I would never do....I feel I have done...at least to one extent.     In the past year...I have strongly endeavoured to regain some balance in our family..definately with some resistance.  More resistance from my son with Autism,   than anyone.     I think in my efforts to try to keep things fair...which they will never seem to the rest of my children   I at times have overcompensated and let my other children away with way too much.    So establishing some firm boundaries of late has caused some friction and there was definately a need to build some stronger connections....especially with my 9 year old daughter....who really at times strongly reminds me of some 13 year olds.       We had a wonderful time together....the bargain is....she can pick the venue...and what we do...  but we cannot use this outing ,  or restrict her from it as a form of discipline....   Well this didn't bode well today when she had attitude galore and had to be returned home from a shopping outing to the grocery store.   Her father had requested that she not go tonite,  for which she was devastated.   I simply reminded him and her of the agreement that this outing was a must...and the consequence for the earlier behaviour would have to be something else.     This is her time with just me,  after all there are alot of competing variables in my family. 
We have been doing this for the past 3 months.   We went to Windsor overnight for the first month activity...Stratford to see Peter Pan and out for lunch and the peddle boats for the second month and this month she insisted on going to the Palasad for Bowling, Pizza and ofcourse don't forget the games.  
Here's to more great adventures for Mothers and daughters.  We had a talk tonite about eventually inviting Justine,  my 6 year old to be part of these...but for now these will remain just ours until Justine is a little older.
Jasmine was fairly mature about this decision,  but she said she still needs some time with just me.   I even offered her to spend some of the time one on one with her father, maybe alternating months...but she insisted that this is really what she needs at this time. 

1 comment:

  1. Awwww love that idea. I think it is really important to develop that strong bond between mother and daughter as young an age as you can because the fighting and attitude during the teenage years seems to be at mom mostly.
    I love doing things with my daughter and yesterday we went to see Love, loss and What I wore and I bought her a new top too. We had so much fun . Next Sunday we are going to a Kanaan concert she really really wanted this .
    Love developing those special bonds!!!!!!!!!!!
    Although Brenda it is a bit different in my house because she is the one and only one.

    ReplyDelete